To treat bobbles on clothes, use a razor, fabric shaver, or sticky tape to remove them from the garment. Bobbles on clothes can be annoying and make our favorite garments look old and tired.
Luckily, there are several ways to treat bobbles and revive your clothes. Bobbles, also known as “pills,” are small balls of fabric that form on clothing when the fibers rub together. The friction causes the fibers to tangle and form tiny knots, which we refer to as bobbles.
To remove them, you can use a variety of tools such as razors, fabric shavers or sticky tape. In this article, we’re going to explore these methods in detail, so you can treat bobbles on clothes effectively and quickly.
What Are Bobbles And How They Occur
Bobbles on clothes are frustrating and unsightly, but they’re a reality for many of us. These small balls of fabric can instantly make a garment look old and worn out, and it’s not uncommon for them to occur even on new clothes.
But what are they exactly, and why do they occur? We’ll explore the basics of bobbles on clothes and what you can do to treat them.
Explanation Of Bobbles
Bobbles, also known as pills or fuzz balls, are small clumps of tangled or broken fibres that form on the surface of fabric. They’re most common on natural fibres such as wool, cotton, and cashmere, but can occur on synthetic fabrics as well.
Bobbles occur when loose fibres get tangled together, creating a small ball or cluster that remains attached to the fabric. This can happen due to friction, such as when clothes rub against each other in the wash or during wear, or when an item is repeatedly brushed or rubbed against a surface.
Factors That Contribute To Bobbles On Clothes
While friction is the most common cause of bobbles, there are several other factors that can contribute to their formation. These include:
- Low-quality fabric: Clothes made from low-quality fibres or blends are more likely to develop bobbles.
- Tight clothing: Clothes that fit too tightly can cause more friction and rubbing, leading to bobbles.
- Rough surfaces: Sitting or leaning against rough surfaces such as concrete or brick walls can cause bobbles.
- Washing machine: Running clothes through the washing machine too frequently or at too high temperatures can cause bobbles.
- Dryer: Drying clothes in the dryer at high temperatures can also cause bobbles to form.
The Common Reasons For Bobbles
Understanding what causes bobbles on clothes is essential to preventing and treating them. Here are some common reasons why bobbles occur:
- Normal wear and tear
- Washing and drying clothes frequently
- Rubbing against abrasive surfaces
- Clothes made of low-quality fibres or blends
- Poor-quality cloth manufacturing or finishing
By knowing what causes bobbles and taking preventative measures, you can keep your clothes looking fresh and new for longer. In the next section, we’ll explore some practical tips for removing bobbles from your clothes.
Best Practices For Preventing Bobbles
Understanding Fabric Care Labels
Before you can prevent bobbles, you need to understand how to read and interpret fabric care labels. These labels typically include symbols that provide guidance on how to care for your clothes. Here’s what you need to know:
- Wash temperature: This symbol indicates the maximum temperature at which the garment can be washed.
- Bleaching: The triangle symbol indicates whether the garment can be bleached or not.
- Tumble drying: The square symbol represents whether the garment can be tumble-dried or not.
- Ironing: This symbol shows whether the garment can be ironed and at what temperature.
- Dry cleaning: The circle symbol indicates whether the garment can be dry cleaned or not.
Sorting Clothes By Fabric Type
Preventing bobbles begins with sorting your clothes by fabric type. This will help ensure that clothes with similar textures and properties are washed together. Here’s how you can sort your clothes by fabric type:
- Sort clothes by weight: Heavier clothes such as jeans don’t go well with lighter ones such as t-shirts and blouses.
- Sort clothes by texture: Soft cotton materials should not be washed with rough materials like denim.
- Sort clothes by color: It’s easy for darker colored fabrics to shed fibers that will cling onto lighter colored counterparts.
How To Wash And Dry Clothes Appropriately
Washing and drying your clothes appropriately can save them from the wear and tear that leads to bobbling. Follow these laundry basics:
- Read the care label – always refer to the care label for guidance on how to wash and dry your clothes appropriately.
- Use the right detergent – choose a detergent that is appropriate for the fabric of your clothes.
- Use cold water – hot water can damage some fabrics, so it’s usually best to use cold water.
- Use gentle cycles – delicate fabrics will benefit from a gentle washing cycle to prevent breakage of the fibers.
- Dry clothes naturally – avoid tumble-drying clothes, instead, air-drying your clothes will save them from the friction that comes with tumble-drying.
How To Store Clothes To Prevent Bobbles
The way you store your clothes can affect their durability and reduce bobbling. Here are some tips on how to store your clothes correctly:
- Fold clothes – hanging clothes for long periods can lead to bobbles due to gravitational forces acting on the clothing. Folding them works better than hanging them.
- Avoid sunlight – exposure to sunlight can damage the fabric and cause dyes to fade, so it’s always best to store clothes in a dark, cool place.
- Use wardrobe bags – protect your clothes from dust, dirt, and pests by storing them in breathable wardrobe bags.
Diy Solutions For Removing Bobbles
Bobbles on clothes are a common problem that can ruin the appearance of even the fanciest outfit. Luckily, there are plenty of diy solutions for removing bobbles that can save the day. We’ll go over some of the best tools and techniques you can use to restore your clothes to their former glory.
How To Use A Lint Roller
A lint roller is a pretty handy tool to have on hand for removing bobbles from fabric. Here’s how to use it:
- Unroll a sheet of sticky paper from the lint roller.
- Press the sticky side of the sheet onto the surface of the fabric where you see bobbles.
- Roll the lint roller over the fabric, pressing down gently as you go.
- Discard the used sheet and repeat the process until all the bobbles have been removed.
How To Shave Off Bobbles
Another popular diy solution for removing bobbles is to use a razor or an electric shaver. Here’s how to do it:
- Lay the affected piece of clothing on a flat surface.
- Gently stretch the fabric taut.
- Run the razor or electric shaver over the surface of the fabric where you see bobbles.
- Be careful not to press too hard or you could damage the fabric or create holes.
- Repeat the process until all the bobbles have been removed.
How To Remove Bobbles With A Pumice Stone
If you’re looking for a more natural solution, a pumice stone can also work well for removing bobbles from clothes. Here’s how to use it:
- Hold the affected piece of clothing taut.
- Rub the pumice stone gently over the surface of the fabric where you see bobbles.
- Be careful not to rub too hard or you could damage the fabric.
- Continue until all the bobbles have been removed.
Best Tools For Removing Bobbles
There are plenty of tools you can use to remove bobbles from clothes. Here are some of the best:
- Lint roller
- Razor or electric shaver
- Pumice stone
- Sweater comb
- Fabric shaver
- Velcro curler
Remember to choose the best tool based on the type of fabric and the extent of the bobbles. With these tools and techniques, you can easily remove bobbles from clothes and make them look brand new.
Professional Methods Of Removing Bobbles
Bobbles can ruin anyone’s outfit within seconds. Thus, it is essential to remove them as soon as possible. Here are professional methods of removing bobbles from clothes:
Tips For Choosing Fabric Shavers
While choosing a fabric shaver, there are some essential tips to keep in mind:
- Look for a fabric shaver with an adjustable blade height.
- Choose a fabric shaver with a lint container that is easily removable for cleaning.
- Go for a fabric shaver with an ergonomic handle to allow for comfortable use.
- Ensure that the fabric shaver you choose is suitable for the fabric of your clothes.
How To Use A Fabric Shaver Properly
Using a fabric shaver is simple and straightforward. Here are some tips on how to use a fabric shaver correctly:
- First, read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- Set the blade height accordingly based on how delicate the fabric is.
- Place the clothes on a flat surface, pull the fabric taut, and shave in a circular motion.
- Empty the lint container regularly to avoid clogging the shaver.
Professional Services For Removing Bobbles
Aside from using a fabric shaver, there are professional services available for removing stubborn bobbles. Here are some of the services:
- Clothes steamer: A steamer uses heated water vapor to remove wrinkles and bobbles from clothes.
- Dry cleaning: Dry cleaning is a professional laundry service that uses chemicals to remove dirt and stains, including bobbles.
- Professional lint remover: Professional lint removers are specialized tools designed to remove bobbles and lint from clothes.
Cost Comparison Between Diy Vs. Professional Methods
When it comes to removing bobbles from clothes, there are both diy and professional methods. Here’s a comparison of the costs:
- Diy: A fabric shaver can be bought online or in-store for as little as $10-$20.
- Professional services: Professional services can cost anywhere from $10-$50 or more per item, depending on the service you choose.
Removing bobbles from clothes can be achieved using professional methods that are efficient and cost-effective. By following the tips mentioned above, you can keep your clothes looking good as new.
Frequently Asked Questions On How To Treat Bobbles On Clothes
How Do You Get Rid Of Bobbles On Clothes?
To get rid of bobbles, you can use a fabric shaver or a sweater stone. These tools gently remove fuzz without damaging the fabric. Another method is to use a disposable razor to shave off the bobbles.
Why Do Clothes Get Bobbles?
Clothes get bobbles due to friction caused by rubbing against something else. Pilling, as it is scientifically known, is caused by the fibers in the fabric breaking and tangling together. This is more common in synthetic fabrics than in natural ones.
What Fabrics Are Prone To Bobbles?
Fabrics that are prone to bobbles are synthetic fibers like polyester and nylon. These fibers tend to rub against one another and cause friction, which leads to pilling. Natural fibers like wool, cotton, and silk are less prone to bobbles.
Can You Prevent Bobbles On Clothes?
You can prevent bobbles on clothes by washing them inside out. Also, avoid overloading your washing machine, as this can cause excessive friction between garments. Furthermore, don’t dry clothes in a machine too often, as this can break down fibers and lead to pilling.
Is It Possible To Fix Severe Bobbles?
Yes, you can fix severe bobbles by using a lint shaver or a sweater stone. However, if the bobbles are too severe, it may be best to replace the garment. Severe pilling may indicate a lower quality garment, or one that has reached the end of its lifespan.
Keeping your clothes looking fresh and new is important for any fashion enthusiast. Whether it’s due to regular wear and tear or improper storage, bobbles can appear on clothes and ruin the overall look. However, with the tips and tricks offered in this article, you can treat your bobbled clothes with ease and restore them to their original state.
Remember to always use gentle methods when dealing with delicate fabrics and to remove bobbles as soon as possible to prevent further damage. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily manage bobbles on your clothes and keep them looking clean and polished.
So, say goodbye to pesky bobbles and hello to a wardrobe that’s always on-point. Happy styling!